The first time you open EndNote, you will be prompted to create a new library. Most users will only need one library.
| File management awareness:
Your EndNote Library consists of two components.
Keep these together in a local folder on the hard drive drive on your device/computer as long as the folder is unaffected by syncing to OneDrive.
You can store your working EN libraries in a folder on the local C drive
|EndNote has it's own sync feature. To work with EndNote across multiple devices, use the in-built EndNote Online feature to sync, rather than OneDrive, DropBox or similar.|
It is recommended that you backup your EndNote Library regularly, and before upgrading to a new version. A compressed library is easier to save, move or email and this is also the best way to back your library. Cloud storage such as Google Drive should not be used for the location of your main library. Use the cloud only to store compressed libraries as backups.
To Save a Compressed Library backup: (.enlx)
1. Open your EndNote Library
2. Go to the File menu >>>Compressed Library
3. Decide whether you want to include the attachments >> Click Next.
4. Name the .enlx file (give this backup a different name) and save it to the location where you store your backups. Put this backup away and leave it alone.
5. Return to your original EndNote Library (.enl) and keep working as before on the local drive.
The Compressed EN Library file can be emailed or stored on an external drive or cloud storage.
If at any stage you need to open an archived Compressed library, always move it back down to your local drive before opening.