Referencing in your UTAS assignments
Step 1. Before you use this library guide check: Does your School have its own referencing guide? To find out ask your lecturer or tutor.
Step 2. If you are using this guide or another guide and you are still unsure about a particular citation, it is always best to check with your tutor or lecturer - they will be marking your work after all.
Step 3. Refer to the Style Manual. UTAS Library holds print Style Manuals (complete guides) for the following referencing styles: Harvard, APA, MLA, Chigaco, Vancouver & Turabian. You can find these manuals on the shelves in UTAS Library branches. In the case of the Harvard guide the relevant chapter of the manual has been placed on electronic Reserve (eReserve) in the library catalogue. To locate these books please refer to the other pages in this guide.
Guide to assignment writing
Quick guides to assist with essay writing covers: Academic Reading, Critical Thinking, Essay Writing, Grammar, Making Better Notes, Oral Presentations, Revising for Exams, Time Management, etc. The study and writing section of this guide has a list of titles that can be of further assistance for these and other topics.
Check with your school(s) as they may have their own requirements.
General layout of assignments
- All assignments (essays, practical reports, etc) should be typed, word processed or legibly handwritten, on one side of sheets of A4.
- Double space typewritten or word processed work except for:
- footnotes which should be single spaced (if applicable)
- indented quotations which should be either single or one and half spaced.
- Each page should have a wide margin of at least 3cm for the marker's comments.
- Each page should be numbered in either the top right-hand corner or at the centre of the bottom of the page.
- Make sure pages are securely fastened, preferably with a staple in the top left-hand corner.
Note: Schools normally have their own cover page template
- The following information should appear on the cover page of the assignment:
- Title of assignment
- Your name
- Student ID number
- Name of School
- Unit name
- Lecturer's name
- Due date
- Date of submission